Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Milena Velba Nadine Jansen Blog

The Loneliness of the Chief publisher

Yesterday I took advantage of the day without a job (if we exclude the eight emails received by the office) and finally begin to give effect to spread to the world of my first novel.
I got up early, when my wonderful boy, after measuring the fever for the last time because deep down we had hoped, he went to work and I finished writing the synopsis plus a short presentation of myself. The presentation, by failing to I published anything of nothing but a piece in an anthology that I do not know whether it is still sold on the Internet, it's really short (I do not even bother to report it, since those sales, if ever there were, I have never received a cent on the cover and I also have the name wrong).
Then I started making phone calls, armed with Excel spreadsheet to track all the terrible job of marketing it intended to do. It is not pretended that
mica red carpet and a limo to the house, so to speak, but I never expected that someone even refused my manuscript. As my mother always told me, " how can you say you do not like if you do not taste even a bit? . "But it is exactly what happened. Typescript rejected the first two calls.


call 1 - Hello, I'm an author. What steps should I follow to submit an unpublished manuscript?
- What kind owns the material?
- It 's a novel female.
- So young adolescents?
- No, say it is more gender-Sophie Kinsella ...
- Mmm ... How many pages?
- about 220 folders.
- Ah. Here, for this kind we take into account only foreign authors or already famous . She has already published something?
- Really ...
- I'm sorry, try to check back next year .
- Next year? But we are in February!
- Yes, I know. I'm sorry. Or suggest you start with some lesser-known publishing house .

Phone Call 2 - Hello, I'm an author. What steps should I follow to submit an unpublished manuscript?
- I'm sorry, but for the next two years we do not accept unpublished material in evaluation.

At that moment my body felt an uncontrollable need for Coke and frozen pizzas, which I immediately devoured furiously in front of the monitor. Only after the last bite I realized I had just ten in the morning and it was emotional eating.

Then things went much better, because I stopped call. I simply read the instructions for sending unpublished material on the sites of publishers and, looking good and dial any phone numbers, I managed to send all at less than 11 publishers.
A publisher has already answered me. Yeah, to ask, if I were not prepared to pay the publication of my own pocket, to say it now, to avoid fatigue when reading the novel .
All in all, yesterday my life has given us a great lesson: to become a writer you must get used to fish in the face.

Staff Writer

0 comments:

Post a Comment